What are the rules for the cardboard boat race? (Updated)
- Boat races begin at 3:00 pm. Arrive early for registration.
THE ENTIRE BOAT MUST BE BUILT FROM CARDBOARD AND DUCT TAPE. No glues, epoxy, nails, caulk, etc. No waterproofing type paints, no wood, metal, Styrofoam, inflatables or other materials that would aid in buoyancy or add to the rigidness of the cardboard. This applies to keels, transom, ribs, hulls, etc.
- Boats must be propelled by paddles, oars or hands only.
- 50% of the boat must be exposed cardboard.
- Last year's boat cannot compete.
- Paint can only be used for decorative purposes.
- The crew must get IN the boat, not on the boat. No surfboards allowed.
- The boat’s passenger area must not be enclosed above the occupant’s shoulders; escape is important if the ship goes down at sea.
- Crew MUST wear life vests.
- During the race, the crew must be IN the boat—not towing, holding it between your legs, swimming alongside or allowing life vest to provide floatation for the vessel.
- Contestants are expected to maintain the decorum and dignity of a yachtsman and not behave like pirates. Remember, this is all for fun!
- Boat design is left to the builder’s imagination. Creativity is encouraged and costumes are allowed. The judges decide on the interpretation of the rules. No bribing the judges. Upon completion of the competition each team must take their creation home.
What are the rules for the annual photo contest?
CATEGORIES: Eagle Lake Nature (animals/plants/birds, etc), Eagle Lake People/Water Activities, and Eagle Lake Water Scenes
ELIGIBILITY: The contest is open to any child or adult living in the Town of Dover, including both year-round and summer/vacation-home residents. A person can enter one photograph in each category for a total of three entries. All photographs must be taken by the person entering them!
SIZE: 8 x 10” enlargements (up to 8 ½ x 11”) are preferred and recommended, but 5 x 7” or 4 x 6” prints will be accepted.
SPECIFICS: Photographs can be color or non-color. No borders of any kind. No captions. Photographs must be mounted using rubber cement or spray adhesive to an 11 x 14” tag or poster board. Winners must supply JPEG files for future promotions in print, website content, and social media.